So, I’m not going to go into a lot of details … but I wanted to document the struggles … so here was our projected timeline for selling & closing on the first house, and then what actually happened.
What was supposed to happen:
- Thursday, April 27, 2017 – Moving Day
- Friday, April 28, 2017 – Finishing up at the first house, then last night in the first house & Dayton.
- Saturday, April 29, 2017 – Pack up any last items and leave our first house forever.
- Monday, May 1, 2017 – Meeting @ 9am for closing
- Thursday, April 27, 2017 – Moving day, but at 6pm we received a call from our realtor that closing is not going to happen as scheduled. Buyer needs more time to get her shit together. We’re not sure how long, but they’ll be sending over an extension for us to sign soon.
- Friday, April 28, 2017 – The internet, cable, and lawncare crews all arrived in the AM to set up our new contracts – it was SO busy at our house. I had to call and cancel the cancellation of electric, gas, insurance, etc. on the first house. We’re still waiting on extension contract … and at 7:30pm – our realtor called and said we have to meet her at the house with a contractor on Saturday morning; the underwriters want to review some notes on the appraisal documentation.
- Saturday, April 29, 2017 – Overnight, it poured inches and inches of rain – a big oak tree split from the wind in our new neighborhood (luckily, it was down the street and fell directly between 2 mailboxes, across a street, and hit no cars!?). So, we drove back up to Dayton in pouring rain to meet the realtor and contractor at 9am. It was absolutely horrible; maybe the worst rain I’ve ever driven in. We met with realtor and contractor; and our realtor gave us the scoop on extending the contract and the buyer’s request. Afterwards, we finished cleaning up and packing at the first house; then we drove home, utterly exhausted and depleted. Later that night, we received the extension contract.
- Sunday, April 30, 2017 – We sent over our signed, negotiated extension.
- Monday, May 1, 2017 – Still no word from the buyer or her realtor on the negotiated extension contract. ALL DAY??!! Finally, at 8:30pm, I call our realtor and ask what is going on. By 9:30pm there was still no word from buyer on extension contract. At 10:30pm we heard, but not what we wanted to hear – apparently, the office lady had a family emergency and the realtor was in bed, so the extension would be signed in the morning … after our contract expired. We were not happy.
- Tuesday, May 2, 2017 – At 11:00am, we received a signed extension contract.
- Wednesday, May 3 – Tuesday, May 9, 2017 – We finished cleaning, running a couple loads to the dump, goodwill, and errands to finish up at the first house.
- Wednesday, May 10, 2017 – We finally closed at 9:30am. 🙂 So relieved.
- Thursday, May 11, 2017 – I called AGAIN to ACTUALLY cancel utilities, insurance, etc. (I wasn’t about to schedule cancellation date and have to unschedule it AGAIN.)
It’s over. It was not the fun, closure weekend we planned. Instead, it was a 2-week ordeal, filled with mishaps and inconveniences [huge understatement] that made us just not care and just want to be done with all of this.
It was less emotional this way because we were so frustrated and overwhelmed with the closing catastrophes. Which, I guess is good and bad?
It was bitter-sweet. I wanted a proper good-bye. But, we didn’t get it. That chapter just kind-of closed. And now, we’re ready to move on and do it all over again …
[In my mind, I still hope the new owner doesn’t ruin OUR first house. 🙂 ]